Sullivan's Island Pilings
Sullivan's Island is the first barrier island northeast of the Charleston peninsula. The island has been occupied since prior to the American Revolutionary War.
In June 1776, nine British warships attacked a partially completed fort of palmetto logs near the southwest end of the island. The soft logs absorbed the canon shot, Charleston was saved from capture, and the fort was named for the commander, William Moultrie.
The palmetto logs of the fort inspired the sate flag and nickname (Palmetto State) of South Carolina.
The tidal ebb and flow on the Atlantic side of the barrier islands constantly shift the sand and change the beaches. With development of the island, various methods to decrease erosion and create sand build up have been used.
This photograph was taken in 1983 at Station 26. The sand of the subsequent enlarged beach has long since buried the wooden pilings in this image.
Charleston photographsCharleston black and white photographsCharleston monochrome photographsSullivan's Island photographsAtlantic coastal photographsAtlantic OceanAtlantic Beachs