Morris Island Lighthouse
The Morris Island Lighthouse stands completely surrounded by water about 300 yards from the end of Folly Island, SC.
The lighthouse was completed in 1876 and was the second built on the island.
The first Charleston Lighthouse was built in 1767 and provided service until the Civil War. During the war Confederate soldiers blew up the lighthouse to prevent use by Union troops as an observation tower.
Following the Civil War, in 1873, Congress appropriated money to rebuild the Morris Island Lighthouse (then referred to as the Charleston Main Lighthouse) and stands approximately 400 yards from the earlier tower.
This image was taken from the northeast end of Folly Island in 2008 and shows the Sullivan's Island Lighthouse in the distance across Charleston harbor.
Charleston photographsCharleston black and white photographsCharleston monochrome photographsMorris Island lighthouse