Samuel Wilson, a prominent merchant, had built the Queen Anne-style Victorian mansion in 1890. In 1912, the house was sold to renowned theater proprietor, Albert Sotille.
In 1964 the College of Charleston acquired the Sotille House from Mrs. J.C. Long, Albert Sotille's granddaughter.
For forty years it had been used as a student residence hall at the College of Charleston, initially by women and later by men.
This image was take in 1983, well prior to the restoration that began in 2003 and completed in 2005. This restoration has been recognized with a Historic Preservation Honor Award.