Egret on Dock
The old dock was from the Village of Mt. Pleasant, SC, for access to the Cooper River. This image was taken in 1983 and the dock has since been replaced.
The Cooper River is named for one of the eight Lord's Proprietors, Lord Anthony Ashley Cooper.
The Seewee Indians originally inhabited the land, which is now Mt. Pleasant. Florentin O'Sullivan, from whom Sullivan's Island received it's name, was Carolina's surveyor general, received the land included in Mt. Pleasant by land grant in 1680. In 1696, 51 new settlers arrived and each family was allocated several hundred acres.
The name Mt. Pleasant comes from the plantation once owned by Jacob Motte. It was purchased and divided into 35 town lots in 1803. Mt. Pleasant Village and one adjacent small village, Greenwich, merged in 1837 into the Town of Mt. Pleasant.
On September 24, 1860, a public meeting was held in Mt. Pleasant that produced the first secession resolution of the state. The secession convention met in Charleston December 20, 1860, and South Carolina voted to become the first state to leave the Union.
Charleston photographsCharleston black and white photographsegretcoastal marshdockCharleston monochrome photograph